Wednesday, March 22, 2017

PENNSYLVANIA TOP HIGH SCHOOL STARS IN ACTION; LONNIE WALKER & QUADE GREEN

                    
        Initially (thanks H&D (insider(lol), I had my day planned to finally get my first glimpse of Quade Green of Neumann-Goretti play basketball. Green is nationally ranked and heading to play basketball next year at college basketball heaven, the  University of Kentucky. He is also the  22nd overall basketball player in the nation, according to "ESPN," a very credibal source. 
       While I'm purchasing my ticket at Temple Universities Liacouras Center. I was notified that I wasn't just purchasing for one game but two. Buy one get one free? I'm a coupon addict I live for these type of deals. So I would be watching Quade Green and Neumann-Goretti versus Delaware Valley Charter and also Reading High School versus Archbishop Ryan. So, before the game I don't know no players on either of the teams of the second game, but let's just say I'm glad I stayed.
          Neumann ended up blowing out Del-Val 76-47. In a pretty modest attendance, which I was surprised and embarrassed by since both of these teams are from the area.
    Up next comes the game of the night;  Reading versus Ryan. Patiently waiting for the clock to tick down to start the game so I can race home so my girl don't think I'm out cheating because a second game wasn't in the books (lol). As I'm waiting I wipe my eyes to see if I'm not seeing things. I start to notice the arena getting crowded. Just then a guy sitting a seat down from me, he pats me and sarcastically asked me: "now you ready to see a game?" Now I'm in the sunken place (lol), the whole time I figured I was in the Neumann section, I wasn't because their wasn't a Neumann section. I was clamoured around an arena full of Reading supporters (shout out to them, they really ride for their squad and their city), a small percentage was for Neumann and Ryan. So me thinking he gassing (Philly term) the situation, I nod sarcastically and say yeah. So in response he says to me, "watch out for him." Pointing at a slim but muscular, tall teenager, with a red headband and sporting the new culture look of a nappy top or nappy mini afro. This teenager happened to be Lonnie Walker, number one ranked player in the state of Pennsylvania and number 18th overall ranked player in the country according to ESPN.
     The game starts! Jump ball, immediately the vibe in the arena is totally different from the first game. Fans are shouting from the beginning to ending of the game. I got three old ladies behind me yelling all game. They reminded me of the Golden girls how funny they were but at the same time I was amazed to see how well they knew the game. Me being a new referee, it was a tough atmosphere to deal with and an atmosphere I'm not ready for.
      First quarter every thing going Ryan's way. I'mm happy but at the same time I have to be discreet, remembering I am on the opponents section. Second quarter comes that's when all hell (excuse my language) breaks loose. The teenager that I was told to keep an eye on, well he went off. Helping Reading end the quarter on a big run eventually taking the lead. Reading will never give up the lead after that and the kid, Lonnie Walker was just as good as advertised, ending the night with 35 points and a trip to the state finals.
          It was a good night for me to watch some good high school ball, watch some future college stars, learn from the referees I was watching and to enjoy a good night with some Reading, Pennsylvania folks.
                   "GET THE WORD OUT!"

No comments: